Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 A new breed of sourcebook...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 14:42:37
I just picked up this little snippet from EN World (well actually, I learned of this yesterday, but the Lady Kazandra had kept me so busy, that I could not visit Candlekeep and share this interesting news with you...until today) -

quote:
Andy Collins has mentioned WotC's upcoming Frostburn on his messageboards.

Frostburn is a bit of an experiment for us in a new type of sourcebook. As advertised, it's the first in the "Environment Series" which explores the aspects of a particular terrain/climate (in this case, arctic).

It includes info on adventuring in that environment, as well as tips on how to bring aspects of that environment into your existing campaign (so you don't have to travel to Antarctica or the Great Glacier to use what's in there).

The book was written by Wolfgang Baur, James Jacobs, and George Strayton.

What do you all think...?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Mar 2004 : 18:12:17
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
HELL NO

That Half baked abortion took one of the FRs product slots this year

Needless to say I will not be buying any Eberron product ever

Half-baked...whoa.....I thought I was a little negative towards Eberron.

I've enjoyed some of Keith Baker's past works, but so far on this one, I'll pass too.
Brother Ezra Posted - 27 Mar 2004 : 17:10:00
I think the idea is a great one. I fear, however, that the execution will not live up to my expectations. Knowing WotC's past track record on these types of things, I think it will probably be 80% new skills, prestige classes and spells. Perhaps 10% will toss in new rules for handling situations unique to that terrain, and the last 10% (the part that I would be most interested in) would be about adventure hooks and role playing ideas.

Maybe I'm a pessimist. I prefer the term "Realist"
The Sage Posted - 27 Mar 2004 : 07:53:21
Well, I'll most likely be purchasing the Eberron campaign book, but that's mostly because it looks to have some inherent elements that I can use in my homebrew world of Gateway. Other than the main book though, I will most likely not be purchasing other any Eberron tomes.

One particular terrain/environment-type I hope receives some attention in these new sourcebooks is, mountainous and/or hill-terrain. I like to run encounters (especially against some of the more sinister 'Beast Giants' from the Dark Sun setting) in or around mountainous/hilly terrain, and a sourcebook that details aspects of these environment types would be greatly welcomed...
Dargoth Posted - 27 Mar 2004 : 06:00:11
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
WOTC are loosing a lot of money from me this year

No Eberron products will be purchased I take it?

HELL NO

That Half baked abortion took one of the FRs product slots this year

Needless to say I will not be buying any Eberron product ever
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Mar 2004 : 03:55:34
quote:

No Eberron products will be purchased I take it?

I'll get all I want of harsh environment gaming tips if Guardians of Order's does the upcoming Martin RPG right.
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 23:26:55
*yawn*

No Im afraid a book on snow doesnt really interest me

Last year I bought 10 WOTC Gaming books

This year its looking like Ill only get 5
Bookwyrm Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 18:20:59
Interesting. Gives me chills to think of it, of course -- I'm not an artic dragon, you know. But I like environmental settings.
The Sage Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 15:05:19
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Well im quite excited about this sourcebook, and of this new series.

Im quite a one for arctic environment so this first book certainly appeals to me.

From the snippet of information available it sounds just the thing. Id like to see a chapter\content list before I make up my mind though.

Incidently, isnt there already a series of terrain\environment series out by a d20 publisher? it just rings a bell with me for some reason.

Well, the Fantasy Flight Games' 'Legends & Lairs' series comes to mind. They've recently released several tomes that deal with terrain\environment types. Wildscape, which covers wilderness adventures and campaigns, is the first to come to mind...
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 14:58:42
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Incidently, isnt there already a series of terrain\environment series out by a d20 publisher? it just rings a bell with me for some reason.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. WOTC does this often. D20 publishers put out something like a Book of Dragons, and WOTC follows a year or so later. D20 publishers have put out a bunch of books on undead, and now WOTC will apparently publish one as well.
Lord Rad Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 14:52:13
Well im quite excited about this sourcebook, and of this new series.

Im quite a one for arctic environment so this first book certainly appeals to me.

From the snippet of information available it sounds just the thing. Id like to see a chapter\content list before I make up my mind though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000