Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Neverwinter excerpt: Factions and Foes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 09:46:03
Factions and Foes part 1. The Ashmadai

Factions and Foes part 2. Thayans

Going to add the links instead of creating seperate scrolls
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt James Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 19:41:54
The Neverwinter Campaign guide will be another great asset to add to my Realmslore collection. I can't wait to see it, Erik!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 08:08:27
quote:
Originally posted by Bane of the Harpers

I'm curious. Wasn't Valindra an associate of Arklem Greeth? If so, will the book explain her switch of allegiance to Thay (besides the destruction of the Arcane Brotherhood I mean) ?
The explanation isn't specified in this particular book, as the shift happened many, many decades ago. But see Gauntlgrym, by R. A. Salvatore.

Cheers
Bane of the Harpers Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 06:06:58
I'm curious. Wasn't Valindra an associate of Arklem Greeth? If so, will the book explain her switch of allegiance to Thay (besides the destruction of the Arcane Brotherhood I mean) ?
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 05:50:24
Erik I used your quote on the WotC boards.

Someone was asking "Why is she only level 9?"
The Sage Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 01:33:03
Confound it!

I can't access the Wizards site from my present location, but I'm eager to see what Thayvian-goodies are coming in this book.
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 01:12:08
Good to know Erik.

I am looking forward to this Tome.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 21:03:17
Ah, Mordai Vell and Favria, two of my favorite NPCs to design. Good day.

I wanted to point something out before anyone reads too much into it: yep, Valindra is a level 9 elite, which doesn't necessarily square with her ostensible power in 3.5 (in which she was at least in the teens). The method to this seeming madness is to have her be within reach of characters within this specifically heroic tier campaign. It's an outgrowth of the belief that the mechanics should serve the story, rather than the other way around.

If that explanation doesn't quite cut it, you might think of this as the "heroic tier version" of Valindra, whereas a paragon version of her would be level 19, and an epic version of her would be level 29.

Personally, in my Neverwinter Campaign, I would probably use these mechanics to represent a skirmish with a weakened Valindra, crippled by some ritual or artifact the heroes acquired or even with her attention diverted by her own madness. When her hp drop to 0, she would teleport away to be an enemy in subsequent adventures in the larger Realms.

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000