Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Latest Ampersand Article

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Enwy Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 01:40:44
...Has revealed some interesting tidbits. I hadn't seen this posted up anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share.

(Originally posted this in the wrong place like a silly person.)

Article: http://wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/dramp/2011January

No more D&D miniatures, eMagazine format for "Dragon" and "Dungeon", and the Neverwinter guide that was meant to be released in 2012 is missing in action, according to reports. I am a sad panda currently. Thoughts?
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Enwy Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 18:24:58
Eesh, yeah, I'll need to remember that for the future in regards to the product list. I dislike being tricked. ;_;
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 18:09:09
You just can't assume that a listing of forthcoming WotC products is comprehensive. I speak from embittered, disgruntled experience as one whose stuff has often been omitted.
Enwy Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 15:58:06
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Enwy

the Neverwinter guide that was meant to be released in 2012 is missing in action, according to reports.
Please tell me where you see these reports so I can go correct them.

I am fairly close to this product (having contibuted around 40k words), and I have seen absolutely NO indication on the inside that it isn't coming out. Quite the contrary, actually.

So as far as I know, it is NOT missing in action--it just isn't as readily available with product previews and stuff, because it's still 8 months out.

In fact, feel free to go preorder it. You will not be sorry that you did! On Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Campaign-Setting-Dungeons-Supplement/dp/0786958146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294986456&sr=8-1

Cheers

Erik, I cannot express enough how happy and relieved you just made me. I'm going to be pre-ordering that book the moment I get home, as it's the release I've been anticipating the most. (Finally a Realms-specific book for 4e!)

Ashe said most of it, actually. I distinctly remember seeing the book on the product list way back when, and then one day I noticed it wasn't there and hasn't reappeared since. I'd stumbled across an article (that I've been trying to dig up for you, but I don't have it bookmarked) some time ago that was discussing the fate of the book, and the Ampersand article's lacking mention of the thing made me wary. Thanks so much for clarifying that it hasn't been lost to the winds!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 15:55:31
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I think the problem is that WotC is not showing it on their Product Release page since it only goes to June (probably because they don't want to say what they are releasing at and after GenCon).

^^^This. I am pretty sure, based on the release date, that we'll be seeing NWCG launced at GenCon 2011.

(I will also be on hand to sign any copies you might pick up there. Just a promise! )

Cheers
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 13:59:02
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

the Neverwinter guide that was meant to be released in 2012 is missing in action, according to reports.

I am fairly close to this product (having contibuted around 40k words), and I have seen absolutely NO indication on the inside that it isn't coming out. Quite the contrary, actually.

So as far as I know, it is NOT missing in action--it just isn't as readily available with product previews and stuff, because it's still 8 months out.

In fact, feel free to go preorder it. You will not be sorry that you did! On Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Campaign-Setting-Dungeons-Supplement/dp/0786958146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294986456&sr=8-1

Cheers

I think the problem is that WotC is not showing it on their Product Release page since it only goes to June (probably because they don't want to say what they are releasing at and after GenCon).
Diffan Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 13:53:19
Good looks Erik, I had worried for a moment. Consider this pre-ordered!

As for the Monster Vault, I'm very very happy with this product. When I bought it, I wasn't sure what to expect but the layers of Monster tokens and great info on monsters in the vault, I was pleasantly suprised. And the Best part is, these tokens can be used with ANY generic D&D game and even Paizo games as well since many monsters are crossovers between the two.

As for Paizo releaseing so much, I think they're playing catch-up. 4E has already put out 3 PHBs, 3 Monster Manuals (4 if you include Monster Vault), dozens of adventure paths, miniatures, and DM sources such as the Demonomicon, Astral Sea, Open Grave, etc.. in just over 2 years. That's a ton of material. They NEED to slow down and take it slow, producing quality over quantity. That's not a dig as Paizo, since I find many of their products of great quality.

Still, with WotC slowing down it will give them time to really test out how their products work and work out the kinks so that there isn't lots and lots of Errata for those products. Plus, the Heroes of Shadow is going to hardcover, which I'm really happy about. I can temper my anger at it's later release date by knowing it'll be a hardbacked product that will last longer than paperbacks do.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 06:28:49
quote:

Cheers
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 02:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale is not just a map, just an FYI. I hope the 50k words I contributed are in there somewhere :p

I counted that as one of the supplements. The other two were Heroes of Shadow and Shadowfell.
Matt James Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 20:10:16
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale is not just a map, just an FYI. I hope the 50k words I contributed are in there somewhere :p

Are there minis in there?

Not that I am aware of. It's not unlike the last Monster Vault, which is kinda like a new format for Monster Manuals.
Therise Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 19:52:27
"Fortune Cards" and card game sets in general aren't anything I'd buy.

And switching DDI to "individual articles" (and no longer offering monthly compiled issues) will definitely kill Dungeon and Dragon. I mean seriously, do they not understand that the statistics of individual article lookups has more to do with the fact that they release their DDI in a piecemeal fashion now?

Good grief!

My inner cynic (which is even more cynical than my outer cynic) thinks this "no compilation" in DDI probably has more to do with controlling access. Perhaps if there's no monthly PDF, it can't be pirated as easily? Maybe you won't even be able to download individual articles? Whatever the case, no final compilation PDF makes me even less interested in DDI.
Alisttair Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 18:17:55
quote:

Are there minis in there?
Matt James Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 17:38:50
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 15:22:42
A friend elsewhere pointed out something interesting. Between now and GenCon:

Wizards of the Coast Product Catalog
- Dungeon Tiles: Caverns of Icewind Dale
- Collected Stories, The
- The Empyrean Odyssey
- Sooner Dead
- Shadow Over Nentir Vale
- D&D Gamma World Expansion Kit: Legion of Gold
- Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen
- Wrath of Ashardalon
- The Faerie Locket
- Temple of Yellow Skulls, The
- Sandstorm
- Heroes of Shadow
- Sword of the Gods
- The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond
- Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale
- Dungeon Tiles: The Witchlight Fens

Only three (3!) are gaming supplements. The rest are novels (7), accessories (4: Fortune Cards, DM Screen and Map Tiles) and/or board games (2: GW Expansion and Wrath of Ashardalon).

Compare that to the 5 Campaign books, 2 Player Companion books, 5 Adventure Paths/Modules, 5 Accessories (Maps & Cards) and another novel coming out in the next 3 months over at Paizo. Now, I know I'm a fanboy of Paizo, but this isn't about an edition, but about the business of our hobby. When the industry leader is putting out less and less material, it hurts the industry as a whole. Or is WotC no longer the industry leader?
Alisttair Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 14:29:32
Thanks Ashe.
I'm just hoping that per-painted miniatures fully compatible with D&D will be available and affordable in whatever way they plan on making it next.
Diffan Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 14:16:59
The loss of the D&D mini line stinks, though im not suprised. I dont think it was going well so far as miniature games go. Besides, there are better miniature companies out there for table-top RPGs.

I have mixed feelings on the monthly compilations of DDi. On one hand, I understand the decision, which seemed based on consumer feed-back but I was one of the Bulk up-load guys so I miss out on printing the whole thing if I chose to go that route.

As for D&D becoming a card game, thats just ridiculous. They are using these "fortune cards" to compete w/ Paizo's own version of RPG
cards, nothing more. Spell cards have been around since 2e, so that format isnt new to D&D in the slightest.

I am disappointed that they're pushing the Heroes of Shadow book til April :-(
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 14:10:16
quote:

I can't access the site. Can someone quote the part where they say they are pulling the minis.

Here ya go:

quote:
D&D RPG Product Release Updates

Despite the best laid plans, sometimes we make changes to the D&D product release schedule. Usually this happens well before we’ve communicated our plans, but sometimes we must make changes to schedules that have already been announced. That happens to be the case we have here.

We have made the decision to depart from prepainted plastic miniatures sets. Lords of Madness stands as the final release under that model. We will continue to release special collector’s sets (such as the Beholder Collector’s Set we released last fall), as well as make use of plastic figures in other product offerings. Check out the Wrath of Ashardalon board game next month for the latest example of this. Moving forward, we will continue to explore more options for players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop, including Monster Vault and other D&D products that feature monster and character tokens.

The Heroes of Shadow product, originally scheduled for March and presented in digest-sized, paperback format, is moving to April to accommodate a change to hardcover format. Additionally, three D&D RPG products have been removed from the 2011 release schedule—Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Emporium, and Hero Builder’s Handbook. While this means fewer books, we plan to deliver just as much great content for players this year through other formats, including board games, accessories, and digital offerings. I’ll keep you up-to-date on the latest releases each month as we go along.

Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation and putting the emphasis where the majority of you are using it. Corrections and updates to articles which used to appear only in the compilations will now be made to the individual articles a few weeks after the original posting.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 14:08:01
quote:

I can't access the site. Can someone quote the part where they say they are pulling the minis.

Here you go...
quote:
D&D RPG Product Release Updates
Despite the best laid plans, sometimes we make changes to the D&D product release schedule. Usually this happens well before we’ve communicated our plans, but sometimes we must make changes to schedules that have already been announced. That happens to be the case we have here.

We have made the decision to depart from prepainted plastic miniatures sets. Lords of Madness stands as the final release under that model. We will continue to release special collector’s sets (such as the Beholder Collector’s Set we released last fall), as well as make use of plastic figures in other product offerings. Check out the Wrath of Ashardalon board game next month for the latest example of this. Moving forward, we will continue to explore more options for players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop, including Monster Vault and other D&D products that feature monster and character tokens.

The Heroes of Shadow product, originally scheduled for March and presented in digest-sized, paperback format, is moving to April to accommodate a change to hardcover format. Additionally, three D&D RPG products have been removed from the 2011 release schedule—Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Emporium, and Hero Builder’s Handbook. While this means fewer books, we plan to deliver just as much great content for players this year through other formats, including board games, accessories, and digital offerings. I’ll keep you up-to-date on the latest releases each month as we go along.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 14:07:40
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

First post in a long while... remember back when I said it (D&D) will become more like a collectible card game? Guess I was right. Pulling the minis means the collector's sets (even if the beholders were hideous, in price and design) sell better, meaning that they finally see the wisdom in producing predetermined minis where the audience knows what they will get, unfortunately at this price I am even LESS interested. I thought minis was the cash-cow.

Overall I fear that this is the beginning of the end, whether for WotC or D&D... corporate needs are, as always, determined by greed. It is much cheaper to produce tokens... tho if the audience buys it is a different matter.

Yeah...

quote:
For some Wizards Play Network programs aimed at experienced players, Fortune Card purchase will be a requirement to participate...

They aren't required for all games, but there will be some official games where they are.
Alisttair Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 13:32:05
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 11:46:06
First post in a long while... remember back when I said it (D&D) will become more like a collectible card game? Guess I was right. Pulling the minis means the collector's sets (even if the beholders were hideous, in price and design) sell better, meaning that they finally see the wisdom in producing predetermined minis where the audience knows what they will get, unfortunately at this price I am even LESS interested. I thought minis was the cash-cow.

Overall I fear that this is the beginning of the end, whether for WotC or D&D... corporate needs are, as always, determined by greed. It is much cheaper to produce tokens... tho if the audience buys it is a different matter.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 05:06:32
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Before people 'mis-understand' the Dragon & Dungeon changes here is the quote;

quote:
Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation and putting the emphasis where the majority of you are using it. Corrections and updates to articles which used to appear only in the compilations will now be made to the individual articles a few weeks after the original posting.

It will still be on-line. Not going back to the print model...

That works for me anyway, because I really only pick and choose which articles I'd like to read. Most rules-related stuff doesn't interest me, so downloading the entire monthly compilation just to access Realms- and/or DARK SUN- and/or EBERRON- content seems kinda pointless.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 04:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

But not, apparently, going to a pay-per-article system. Which sucks, because they're not making a dime off of me until they allow me to buy only what I want, and not what I don't want.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 04:07:27

quote:

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jan 2011 : 03:53:01
Don't forget that they are now marketing the D&D Fortune cards as "you can build a deck suited to your character’s style of play" (kinda like I predicted...) <sigh>

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000