Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Character Builder Update...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 01:52:28
Character Builder Update

Very interesting...
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 17 Nov 2010 : 19:42:13
That's a pretty good review Bakra. I toyed with it for a while but it took me some time to create a character off peak times at home. I run Windows Vista.

I have the same complaints that others have: Poor download time, slow starting, and consistant crashes.

Now, when the system crashes for me, it doesn't say error it just seems to load the info then stops. I spend 2 minutes in this phase before F5'ing it which reset the CB and I was able to reclaim my character.

One complaint I do have that you didn't mention was the Character sheet it prints out. I'm just not liking the format but I'm not suprised it went that direction. The PHB character sheet just didn't have the room for all the info 4E brings to Character creation and so forth.

Also, lack of customization. In the game I have a DMPC in, my group 'OK-ed' my Knight using a light shield in addition to a two-handed weapon except I don't add the bonus to my Reflex save (just AC). I can't inforporate this into the CB unless I print it out then write over top. Other than that, not too many complaints honestly.
Bakra Posted - 17 Nov 2010 : 16:42:12

The new Character Builder has been slammed with complaints within an hour or two of debuting. Some of these are legitimate in my opinion; while other complaints are questionable (They come from pure WotC haters). I’m going to address three of the main complaints which are: it is slow, the “error” crash problem, and the limit of 20 characters.

I used the Character Builder (CB) at work as soon as it debuted. And later I accessed it from my house during a peak time. Stuff you need to know: At work I had a time limit of one hour and the connection speed is ‘almost faster than light’. During this time period I made six first level characters and saved none of them. When using the CB from the house I have a DSL high-speed internet connection, unlimited time to create, and saved a character. Statistics for time was kept using the 1 Mississippi Method. Also, the home computer is modeled after the work computer. The only difference is in OS. I personally use Windows Vista…work is still using Windows XP.

The Complaint: The CB is slow. It loads slowly, it processes slowly, and well it is too slow.

Work results: Even with heavy traffic volume it loaded under 45 seconds. When using the application to create a character the time to process a request varied from 2-35 seconds.

Home results: Loading during a peak period time with my connection was 57 seconds. When using the application to process a request it varied from 20-63 seconds.

The Complaint: It crashes a lot. The main problem that pops up is an “Error” message which locks the program up.

Work results: I experienced my first “Error” message on the fourth character which was 32 minutes into the program. (Later I discovered my error message matches the ones posted on WotC boards.) Instead of closing out the program I hit the refresh button. This solved the problem. No lock ups. I didn’t lose the character either. In fact the program asked if I wanted to continue with the character or discard it.

Home results: I made one first level rogue within a two hour time period. This wasn’t due to the system ‘chronically’ crashing. Why did it take so long for me to create a character? Because I was taking my sweet time to play with the system. I didn’t experience a problem until the inventory screen which was an hour into the program.

The Complaint: You can only save 20 characters.

I don’t suffer from this particular problem. And it is kind of hard for me to test for at work or home. So I did some research on the WotC boards. Okay, I had to do some heavy reading on the message boards. I believe the main problems are user income and NPC design philosophy. Some low income individuals pool their resources to subscribe to DDI on a monthly basis. One person, usually the DM, will share this account with five to six players. Somehow they manage to go over the 20 character limit imposed by the website. How many characters does a player need for each campaign? I have six players for the D&D Encounters campaign. Once the home campaign gets up and running I will have 4 players. If I decided to host all of their characters then I use up ten slots. And if I decide to play in LFR then I take up another slot…maybe two. This problem can be solved internally without involving WotC DDI team. One character per player per campaign equals problem solved! The other part of the problem seems to come from NPC design philosophy. The DM is using the CB to create a fully stated NPC. Sometimes they make multiple versions of this NPC at different levels. Once again this isn’t a WotC problem. This is a DM problem which can be solved by the DM not fully stating the NPC.

Hopefully sometime later this week my test subject will use the CB. The I can give everyone some real feedback.

Happy gaming.
Bakra Posted - 16 Nov 2010 : 20:00:25
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

NOTE: Today is the up-date day for DDI. After this, it's pretty much done on-line for additional content. I don't know if they'll still allow the off-line version to be downloaded if you don't already have it so I'd get it now. For those who have subscriptions, I hope thiw works out the way they say it will and I'm looking forward to the Essentials update.

I tested this during lunch. I only had it go belly up once. For those who are taking notes: I have an hour lunch, I made 6 different first level characters, and the refresh button fixed the only error/crash.
My only gripe concerns the lack of support for Red Box characters.
*sigh*
Diffan Posted - 16 Nov 2010 : 16:54:25
NOTE: Today is the up-date day for DDI. After this, it's pretty much done on-line for additional content. I don't know if they'll still allow the off-line version to be downloaded if you don't already have it so I'd get it now. For those who have subscriptions, I hope thiw works out the way they say it will and I'm looking forward to the Essentials update.
Diffan Posted - 10 Nov 2010 : 16:03:14
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

My only problem with this is how long it will take folks now to figure-out how to 'cheat' (which may be yet-another reason why it has moved onto their servers).

I used to play a LOT of FLASH FB games (I still play a couple), and I have found cheat-engines for most of them which I do not use; not because I am a 'nice guy', but because if they catch you you get banned). Given that our community has far more ner.... errr... members of the Intelligentsia... then other communities, I would hate to think that people can use these characters 'on the fly' in other peoples games, say at Cons or tournaments.

Then again, I suppose the rules themselves must limit what a character can have and do, to some extent (and showing up with 37 Staffs of the Magi is a sure give-away that the guy cheats). I have played with people who have these 'uber' characters that they bring with them from 'other campaigns' - ones that can do whatever the guy says they can do ("Grow wings and fifty feet tall? Suuuure! I have a ring for that.. just let me pencil something in here... there it is... SEE? Right there at the bottom of the sheet... in pencil...").

I get this nightmare picture in my head of having to run a game for a table-full of Pun-puns.

Well, there are ways of Customizing the CB for your character sheet (ie. adding in feat descriptions and so forth) but normally when you have a character and his stuff is spellout specifically on his character sheet you can't really cheat per-se. This is espically true at Cons (i'm guessing) because everything has to be legit with the CB.

When you do something homebrew like 4d6 rolls for stats, add in special feats or extra feats that the rules don't allow for, or take powers from other classes you don't have access to, it will put this nice little [H] on your character sheet to notify anyone "offical" that this character isn't offical, lol. And the game is streamlined in power enough that someone who's trying to be a Pun-Pun will definitly be noticable even amongs Character Optimizers.
Markustay Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 21:42:56
My only problem with this is how long it will take folks now to figure-out how to 'cheat' (which may be yet-another reason why it has moved onto their servers).

I used to play a LOT of FLASH FB games (I still play a couple), and I have found cheat-engines for most of them which I do not use; not because I am a 'nice guy', but because if they catch you you get banned). Given that our community has far more ner.... errr... members of the Intelligentsia... then other communities, I would hate to think that people can use these characters 'on the fly' in other peoples games, say at Cons or tournaments.

Then again, I suppose the rules themselves must limit what a character can have and do, to some extent (and showing up with 37 Staffs of the Magi is a sure give-away that the guy cheats). I have played with people who have these 'uber' characters that they bring with them from 'other campaigns' - ones that can do whatever the guy says they can do ("Grow wings and fifty feet tall? Suuuure! I have a ring for that.. just let me pencil something in here... there it is... SEE? Right there at the bottom of the sheet... in pencil...").

I get this nightmare picture in my head of having to run a game for a table-full of Pun-puns.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 23:53:32
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra... we wanted a solution that would more easily interact with our community site and Facebook, for example...

ooo maybe i'll be able to access my characters from my iPhone then....sounds better now

It does sound better... Except for the fact there's still no option to export your character.
Diffan Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 14:00:23
Thanks Bakra for posting Bill Slavicsek's comments. I for one, pretty much agree with him on those points. It only bothers me that it's not completly done (ie, no exporting characters yet) but I guess they want to get it out before X-Mas and we won't see that feature til sometime in the late 1st quarter (no rumor, just my persoan speculation).

And remember that this just applies to CB and Adventure Tools. With a DDi subscription, you can still use the Data-base to look for ANYTHING you need PLUS all the previous back articles of Dungeon/Dragon. I'd suggest if you want an Off-line CB that still has TONS of options to at least get the CB until the update and add in everything else from books.
Diffan Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 13:32:11
quote:

Back to Topic - how useful is the Character Builder? I've been creating characters for 30 years without one, so I'm kinda inclined to feel this is the lazy man's tool. Even when that GREAT CD came with the 3e books (the one with the character builder - for FREE!!!) I never bothered to use it, despite my bro-in-law and friends all swearing by the thing. I guess I'm just too set in my ways; this 'old dog' is tired of new tricks.

I'll take 'hand-crafted' over 'factory-generated' any day.

I've found it to be very useful. The printed out Power Cards are espically useful for a no-book reference and it has your to-hit, damage expression, and special effects from different feats you might take. When you don't feel like writing up all the stuff and doing the math, and taking into account ALL the variables with your powers, melee-basic attacks, etc... it comes in handy! This is espically true when your using multipul books and DDi articles. If you didn't use the builder, you'd have to search tons of books for the right feat, power, class feature, or what-have you while ALL the info is right there with an easy drop-down box.

On the other hand, it doesn't allow for much Homebrewing rules and information. Say I used one of my homebrew Paragon Paths, that can't be incorporated into the program.

The best bet, use the character builder and then write up all the stuff yourself in a blank character sheet. It saves you all the time looking through countless books or DDI articles for the right feat but gives you the flexability to add in your own information without worrying about it not showing up AND you can still print out the Power Cards.
Alisttair Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 12:32:13
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra... we wanted a solution that would more easily interact with our community site and Facebook, for example...

ooo maybe i'll be able to access my characters from my iPhone then....sounds better now
Bakra Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 12:00:37
And slightly more information from the Ampersand column by Bill Slavicsek,

"The first place we decided to make changes was to move from a client-based to a web-based tool set. We are moving to a web-based solution to make the tools accessible to multiple platforms. The web-based solution makes it easier for us to react to new technology opportunities, such as tablets and mobile devices. We also wanted to move to a solution that promotes individual account ownership and hinders piracy. Finally, we wanted a solution that would more easily interact with our community site and Facebook, for example."

Bakra Posted - 05 Nov 2010 : 11:57:12
quote:

Thanks for the quick response.

Back to Topic - how useful is the Character Builder? I've been creating characters for 30 years without one, so I'm kinda inclined to feel this is the lazy man's tool. Even when that GREAT CD came with the 3e books (the one with the character builder - for FREE!!!) I never bothered to use it, despite my bro-in-law and friends all swearing by the thing. I guess I'm just too set in my ways; this 'old dog' is tired of new tricks.

Well, I use the Character Builder to double check my math.
I have selected a test subject for the Nov. 16th launch. Once she goes through it and curses my name...umm.. I will try to let you know how useful it is for a new player.
Markustay Posted - 04 Nov 2010 : 20:43:58
Too bad - I was buying the Heroscape minis for my D&D games. Much cheaper, and better-looking, IMHO.

I even bought the Marvel heroes version for my boys - every Christams I buy them Heroscape stuff. Oh well, one less Hasbro product I will have to buy.

One has to wonder if they are killing-off the right line to save the other? The target-audience for Heroscape appears to be the same one for the new D&D game.

This might be better-off in the thread regarding their latest decision concerning the miniatures game.

Economists predict the WORST Holiday-buying season ever, so I expect massive layoffs across the board, everywhere. This isn't a Hasbro-specific phenomena. And a slumped economy in the US means bad times in Asian countries who produce a lot of our products.

You worry about our toys... our worry about our children's future.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 04 Nov 2010 : 12:57:28
And the hits, they keep on comin'!

I can't find "official" word on the death of Heroscape, but then again, going to the Heroscape News page only shows a story from November of last year.

To me, it sounds a lot like Hasbro/WotC are trying to restructure a lot of things right before the holidays. And, from being in a corporate environment (and also seeing their holiday history), I have worries for some long-time employees this Christmas.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2010 : 01:17:39
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Okay, you use the character builder "A LOT" ,so are you talking about the free version which allows you to build your character up to 3rd level? Or are you talking about the full version which you have to pay to use? And to head off this 'my character is a hostage on a cloud" there is a magical button called "PRINT".

The ability to print off a character sheet is not, to me, a fair trade for not being able to store my character locally. And the fact that you lose all access to your character if you allow your subscription to lapse is a major negative, thinks I.

quote:

Q: Can I export my character file to share with others?
A: While this feature won’t be available at launch, we understand that this is important to our players and are working on rolling this functionality out soon. For now, you can import your characters into the new tool, modify and save them to your subscription profile.

This part bothers me... They never did roll out the virtual gaming table that was promised back when the DDI went live, and I'm still waiting for them to announce their alternative to the pdfs that used to be available for a reasonable price from a number of websites.

quote:

I advise everyone on this site to do some research before going off on anything.

I agree, but I think we have enough info here to come to an informed opinion. Thank Lurue I've not been part of the DDI -- I'd be quite angry about these developments, if I was.
Markustay Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 22:07:48
Thanks for the quick response.

I can say that I know I'm right about the "work twice as hard..." thing simply because I find I am one of the many people who are doing just that (and it takes all my willpower to stop myself from being that kind of cantankerous Grognard).

Just look at this site for the past year and a half - even stuff that appears to be normal business decisions people are jumping all over (this thread included). And its not just here - I see it on a least a dozen sites. They have alienated so many with some of their past decisions that it has become the natural thing to find fault with everything they produce.

Which isn't right.

Diffan Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 18:47:07
quote:

Back on Topic: (sort of)
Can you still download articles? If that's the case, then they will still get people who just 'pop-in' for a month to grab what they need. Its fairly obvious to me, in light of this new announcement, that that has become a big concern. I've actually considered doing that myself after I start my Essentials game.

Yea, you can still download content from previous Dungeon/Dragon articles to your hard-drive as far as I know.

I don't really see this as a problem honestly. Yea, people who have been abusing the DDI will be pissed, but someone like me who's been paying yearly for a while won't be that affected. And WotC has been pretty damn good with keeping their servers up and running. The amout of times it does go down AND that time lining up with when you play.....I don't think it'll happen as often as some might come to believe.

As for them working twice as hard....I don't see this either. While they didn't do that great at getting awards this year, they're still the big giant on the block when it comes to PnP RPGs and people will still buy their stuff. I don't see them in that much financial trouble to be honest, at least not to warrent %200 effiency to be a contender with a group like Paizo (and fans of Paizo, don't take that to mean their product is bad, because I like their product and support them as well!!).
Markustay Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 16:56:06
*Meh*

Although I plan to use Essentials, I have no plans what-so-ever to EVER pay for the DDi. The 'Free Preview' of the DDi was so lackluster it will take years for me to be able to even consider re-evaluating it.

And I have heard its gotten better, but you know what? The 'Free Preview' period should have been so amazing that that everyone should have been lining-up to sign-up. They dropped the ball, end of story. Even if they have lived up to their promise of "It'll just keep getting better" (and I understand they are doing just that - this new news is evidence of such), people are still wiping the 'poo' off their faces from the preview - its kinda hard to see past that.

That being said, I hope this new endeavor is wildly successful (and I sincerely mean that). If D&D flounders no one will save it this time - Hasbro will just shelf the game and milk the IPs until the end of time in other ways.

I'm a little dubious about the comment in that E-Mail Bakra got - "No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive anymore."; considering the size of today's Hardrives, that is a ridiculous 'plus'. I'd really like to see a complete list of everyone who complained about THAT.

I understand the reasoning behind this - in fact, BOTH reasonings (one with good intentions, and another more along the lines of 'sticking their finger in a dyke'), but as long as the new, revised product is as phenomenal as they profess, I'm sure folks will get past the downside.

Fans DO get over things - ToT, the Shades, etc... you just need to keep the quality 200% and folks will keep coming back. Unfortunately, thanks to the rather inadequate lore that accompanied 4e, they are now stuck in the same dungpile as women used to be, and the old adage about women in the workforce can now be applied to them - "They will have to work twice as hard to be considered half as good". The guys at Paizo can produce a bomb or two, and fans will laugh it off - WotC no longer has that luxury. Their products (including this latest CB) are being minutely scrutinized for flaws, which is a terrible pressure to work under. The designers have their work cut out for them, and I wish them luck.

Back on Topic: (sort of)
Can you still download articles? If that's the case, then they will still get people who just 'pop-in' for a month to grab what they need. Its fairly obvious to me, in light of this new announcement, that that has become a big concern. I've actually considered doing that myself after I start my Essentials game.
Alisttair Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 13:26:33
quote:

Okay, you use the character builder "A LOT" ,so are you talking about the free version which allows you to build your character up to 3rd level? Or are you talking about the full version which you have to pay to use? And to head off this 'my character is a hostage on a cloud" there is a magical button called "PRINT".
And here is the message in my mailbox:

Subscription and we print.
quote:

• PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight plug-in

Partly good because my wife bought a MacBook so I will be able to access it from there. Problem is we don't have internet at home so I was downloading my updates on the laptop by going to my brother's place, so now I won't be able to do anything from home (unless I can convince the wife to fix in the stupidly expensive and slow (for high speed) internet at home...the negative of country living).

quote:

Q: Where can I find the D&D Character Builder?
A: You can launch it from the D&D Insider Tools page. You must have an active D&D Insider subscription and be connected to the internet to use the new builder.

This would be so much better if they could remove the "game" tag from the website so I could access some information during my break at work....freaking school board...

quote:
Q: What about the D&D Monster Builder? Will that be updated as well?
A: Yes. We are currently working on an updated, Silverlight-based web version of the Monster Builder. We expect to release the updated version in the future.

Again I will have to get the latest on my laptop if I want to use this anymore.
quote:
Q: Can I access my newly saved characters from other locations, now that they are no longer saved on my computer?
A: Yes. All of your characters saved in the new Character Builder are connected and saved to your D&D Insider account, not your computer. As long as the computer meets the minimum requirements and has a Silverlight plug-in, you can view, change or print them from any computer you log in through.

A good thing. Better if they remove the "game" tag (but that would serve the minority I imagine...)
quote:

I advise everyone on this site to do some research before going off on anything.

Thanks for sharing this info with us Bakra
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 12:52:02
From all the stuff I've waded through regarding this, the biggest points seem to be that there will no longer be an Offline product and the worry players won't be able to access their characters when they need to.

The first point is pretty valid. Can they print off their sheet before the game and go play? Sure, but IMO this is a step backwards where you're toting around books and papers instead of the laptops and netbooks people were moving toward. Now, you can still use the laptop/netbook to get to DDi and your character provided the location has WiFi that you can access (which, unfortunately, most FLGS don't).

The second point is that you're character is being stored on a server. Granted, it's not that big a problem until it doesn't work. Like when you go to your weekly game, go to Wizards site and realize their servers crashed and you can't gain access for a couple of hours. Or that they get hit by a virus and have to "rollback" to last week's back-up...

Business-wise, this was a terrific decision on their part. Before, many people would subscribe to DDi for one month, download six months of updates and then cancel their account. Now, people *have* to keep their account subscription active if they want to use the character builder at all. However, I'm beginning to notice more than a few newly disgruntled fans.
Diffan Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 12:33:43
It's as much as I figured. While I'm not keen on having it be web-based (and thus subject to not being used if the site goes down) I don't see it being any much different than what's now available.

It does mean that someone can't just pay the nice 1-month subscription, download the CB and Adventure's Tools, then cancel their subscription and get all access up to that point. It makes sense to me.

What I don't understand is why people thing they have to pay more than their normal sub-scription for the content unless those are the same people who did what I just described above. Then to them my words are "tough".

I'm pretty excited to see a new outlook for the CB and, soon, the Monster Builder. The fact that it's web-based means that no saving to multipul hard drives for those characters (which is the up-side) and accessable through any computer.
Bakra Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 12:21:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok I can't access that site from here, but I don't like how Wooly is describing what he read...My group and I use the Character Builder A LOT. If we end up having to pay to view our characters, that will be a HUGE load of you know what. Does it mention if that will be a required update if you connect to the internet with the character builder? (else I will keep the one I have and never update it...)

And here is the message in my mailbox:

On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:
• New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
• No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
• PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight plug-in
• Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
• Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive anymore.
• File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the previous version to the new Character Builder.
• Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the previous versions.
• New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the new version.

And here is some info from the FAQ:
Changes

Q: Where can I find the D&D Character Builder?
A: You can launch it from the D&D Insider Tools page. You must have an active D&D Insider subscription and be connected to the internet to use the new builder.

Q: What about the D&D Monster Builder? Will that be updated as well?
A: Yes. We are currently working on an updated, Silverlight-based web version of the Monster Builder. We expect to release the updated version in the future.

Q: Is the old, downloadable Character Builder still available?
A: Yes. The old Character Builder will be available for download until the new version goes live on November 16, 2010. All of the Character Builder information will migrate to the new tool. You are welcome to continue using the old version of the Character Builder if you already have it installed, but that version will no longer be supported. Future updates and additions will be through the new tool.

Q: Can I still use my previously created characters on the new Character Builder?
A: Yes, you can. The new Character Builder has an import button that can be used to take character files saved on your hard drive and import them into the web-based Character Builder application.

Q: What character information is going to be in the new version of the D&D Character Builder?
A: All of the content contained in the earlier version of the D&D Character Builder is in the new web-based application. In addition, the new Character Builder also contains data from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting , Player’s Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Psionic Powers.

Q: Can I access my newly saved characters from other locations, now that they are no longer saved on my computer?
A: Yes. All of your characters saved in the new Character Builder are connected and saved to your D&D Insider account, not your computer. As long as the computer meets the minimum requirements and has a Silverlight plug-in, you can view, change or print them from any computer you log in through.

Q: Can I export my character file to share with others?
A: While this feature won’t be available at launch, we understand that this is important to our players and are working on rolling this functionality out soon. For now, you can import your characters into the new tool, modify and save them to your subscription profile.

Alisttair Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 10:59:21
Ok I can't access that site from here, but I don't like how Wooly is describing what he read...My group and I use the Character Builder A LOT. If we end up having to pay to view our characters, that will be a HUGE load of you know what. Does it mention if that will be a required update if you connect to the internet with the character builder? (else I will keep the one I have and never update it...)
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 03:25:51
Since they are no longer offering download updates, then 4E users of Hero Builder may also be ticked off. I don't know the arrangement they have with WotC, but I do know you can download the updated information to Hero Builder as it's released. The HB Downloads differ from WotC CB downloads in that there is no "fluff" descriptions of the powers, all you're downloading is a name and pre-requisites.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 02:27:48
I have no stake in this, obviously... But if I'm reading this right, if you use the new character builder, you have to pay to be able to access your characters. If that's true, it could hurt their sales -- that thread has a lot of comments about WotC "holding the characters hostage". While I'm not one to proclaim WotC to be evil at the drop of a hat, that's a move that can easily be construed negatively (as those posters are doing).

Since their move readily encourages that perception, I'm thinking WotC did not go about this change as well as they could have.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000