Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Eye on the Realms #1: Areth Gaunt, Master Merchant

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 15:25:39
I'm opening this scroll for discussion of the newest Realmslore from Ed, which, as Gomez pointed out in the "Ask Ed" scroll, is now available.

"Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: Areth Gaunt, Master Merchant." Dungeon #172 (November, 2009): pp. 80-83. Illustration by Christopher Burdett.

I think this is article is a ton of fun; useful for DMs, to be sure, but also just a joy to read as it's chock full of the inimitable Ed tidbits. Gaunt himself is an interesting character, and I love the way his biography provides insight into the broader workings of overland trade in the late 15th century Western Heartlands. The Black Fist deserves its own article (as usual, there are a dozen or more things dropped in as flavor or context that could be spun out into a whole book), but as a map collector myself, I think my favorite part is the passing description of Gaunt's cartographical activities, with the copying operation and the shop, and especially the bit about hand annotations.

Cheers,

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 16:35:08
I enjoyed it. Good start to the series.
The Sage Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 15:48:32
And here's the link for those with a DDI subscription:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20091111

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000