Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 I'm feeling a bit guilty

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 04:35:00
I'm watching all the hoopla building up for the release of the Eberron books and listening to all the fans start to get excited about the new books and all.

... and there's that evil little part of me that wants them to fail. {sigh}
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 17:32:37
Fair enough.

I tend to believe Keith Baker's own words on the subject, though. He's made it clear that while there are similarities between the two worlds, they're both very different at their cores.
Markustay Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:39:06
I was in a similar debate on a site I used to be 'prominent' on (Coolminiornot).

What I did was write a full-page description of a setting, mentioning quite a few details... and then challenged everyone there to tell which of the two settings I was describing.

I think I made my point.

The original setting was described in The Witchfire Trilogy, which had the barest of hints about where everything was, and how stuff worked. That came-out before the Warmachine Game Privateer Press grew so famous for. After Warmachine's incredible success, PP went 'back-in' and built an entire setting around that first trilogy of adventures, calling it Iron Kingdoms.

What I think happened is that Keith Baker also read and enjoyed The Witchfire trilogy and used it to devlop his own world around the basis presented there. Ergo, both worlds were born from one set of modules.

That is just my assumption, but it seems to me that both worlds were indeed born of similar premises, at around the same time - this just a matter of two independent lines of development fleshing-out the world itself.

You can take Witchfire and drop it right into Eberron with no major revisions... I think thats telling.

And I'm a big fan of IK and WM... I have a Cryx army, and could probably throw-togther a decent warband for each of the other factions (I just LOVE their minis!)
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:23:42
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Eberron is a pretty cool setting (even if I do think the whole thing was lifted from the Iron Kingdoms setting).
That's actually a misconception. I've long debated this point both at the EB boards at WotC and on the EN World boards. I even recall the thread at EN World drawing in comments from the designers for both worlds and "clearing the air" so to speak.

Having said that, I've long been a fan of IK too. And it helps that the tomes for the setting are quite detailed and cover most every topic for the world and its people. Good stuff!
Markustay Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 15:19:18
Eberron is a pretty cool setting (even if I do think the whole thing was lifted from the Iron Kingdoms setting).

I prefer High Fantasy most of the time, but I would run Eb if I found a group willing to play in a Steampunk-style game (which is how I'd spin it).

Anyhow, I actually think the 4e rules are made-to-order for Eberron, and if I ever decided to run 4e at all, it would probably be in that setting. Thats not a knock, BTW - I just think Eberron is more suited to the 'action-hero' genre of game. Nothing wrong with that - I like a good Indian Jones or 'Errol Flynn' style of over-the-top combat and adventure on occasion.
edappel Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 14:23:32
They still have warforged, artificers and tinkers?

Yes they have.

So... I'll continue ignoring it.
Quale Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 10:45:49
I'm curious about ECG, then it will evident how much they wanted to derail FR to sell it

there a lot white space and the font remained big (looking at the previews) tough

I don't like Eberron as a whole but it has many great ideas that are worth importing to my campaign world that has the ''FR skeleton''
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 07:34:41
My biggest thing about the new Eberron books is that there has been no timeline change and the novels are not canon. Basically, they hit reset and it's the same time and events from the 3.5 books. So, the ONLY reason to buy them is for the 4.0 rules update.

Which is kinda how Player's Guide to Faerūn was. Took me quite a while to decide to pick it up.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 07:26:25
As I near the end of the 'Realms stuff to buy' tether, I have considerd buying into Eberron. I like some of what they have to offer in the setting, and I THINK I can incorporate some of it into FR. But, it's likely that I will instead jst subscribe to Paizo instead. I have started to feel slimy anytime I buy a Wizbro product lately, even secondhand. I feel that it's more constructive to throw my consumer clout behind a company that listens to its customers than to continue to buy into a failing commodity, whatever form it may take.
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 05:24:26
I'll admit, the Lady K has made me a fan of EBERRON. Her campaigns have been both well-crafted and entertaining. They've also managed to borrow from just about every 3e source published for the setting.

It's only recently that I've started into the fiction-side of things concerning EB, but I feel that I'm up on most of the basic source material printed in the various tomes and such. So I can say that I'm looking forward to the release of the Eberron Campaign Guide.

No doubt, I [or the Lady K] will be making this our next WotC purchase.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 05:12:46
Eber-whatsit just isn't for me... Other than a couple of the 3E books for the setting, I just haven't paid attention to it. Between that and disregarding WotC, I'm totally neutral on anything that happens with that setting.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000