Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Changes to DDI

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kuje Posted - 19 May 2009 : 23:40:34
Dear Insider,

As a valued D&D Insider subscriber, we wanted to make sure that you were among the first to know about some changes to D&DI that will be coming this July.

Starting Tuesday, July 7, D&D Insider will debut complete sections of final, playable, Player's Handbook 3 material each month leading up to the book's release in March 2010. As a D&DI subscriber, you will be the first to receive nine months of content totaling 102 pages available only through your D&DI subscription.

Each month, the PH3 content will be made available to you through the Character Builder and Compendium accompanied by a comprehensive article. You can read more detail about the debut content in Bill Slavicsek's upcoming Ampersand column.

Beginning July 2, introductory pricing for D&D Insider will expire and subscription prices will change to reflect the increasing value and new content. Starting today, you have 44 days to take advantage of the introductory pricing before it is no longer available. As a current subscriber, you can extend or upgrade your current subscription to get the most value possible. To ensure that you're getting the most value for your money, be sure to visit our FAQ to determine whether a subscription upgrade or extension is right for you.

The deadline for taking advantage of introductory pricing is July 1 at 12 midnight EDT.*

New pricing for D&D Insider beginning July 2:

$9.95 for 1 month
$23.85 for 3 months (save 20%)
$71.40 for an annual subscription (save 40%)

If you have any questions about either of the changes listed above, or about your subscription, you can visit the FAQ or contact the Wizards of the Coast Customer Service team by visiting http://wizards.custhelp.com.

* expiration of your subscription and subsequent renewal or renewal after July 1 will be at the increased rate.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fillow Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 21:08:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

"Wizards of the Coast is pleased to announce that PayPal is now an accepted method of payment for D&D Insider subscriptions. We are especially pleased to have this option available to our customers while introductory pricing is still available."

Now that is something I can applaud. (Finally!)

That said, they're still not getting a dime from me until they do away with the "You buys ever'thin' or nuthin'" policy.

I totally agree !
My benefits from Ebay wil have a happy end !
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 01:45:38
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

"Wizards of the Coast is pleased to announce that PayPal is now an accepted method of payment for D&D Insider subscriptions. We are especially pleased to have this option available to our customers while introductory pricing is still available."

Now that is something I can applaud. (Finally!)

That said, they're still not getting a dime from me until they do away with the "You buys ever'thin' or nuthin'" policy.
Kuje Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 00:51:29
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 07:29:59
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I hope so, Sage & Dart. But after seeing what they did to the Realms (and the fact that they pulled the license from Sovereign Press not too politely), I'm a bit more cynical.

I mean, what do you think they think will sell better to new players? A Dragonlance with the Age of Mortals and such in its history, or a rebooted setting right after the Dragonlance wars where "things are new".

Well, this was the same kinda debate that occurred around the time the 3e DLCS was announced back in '03. There was concern among some sections of the DL online community that WotC would push the setting forward, well past the period of the War of Souls. However, that wasn't the case. And I distinctly recall the folks over at Sovereign Press, once they took over publication, expressing their own intent to keep DL focused on the still developing Age of Mortals. The fact that there's still so much to explore with the Age of Mortals could be reason enough for new players to get interested, if that's the way WotC plan to market the 4e DLCG.

I'll admit, I'm curious to see how DL will translate in 4e D&D. And whether there will be any particular time-shift involved. I've been with DL since the beginning, so I feel justified in saying that I can't see the need for a time-shift myself. But, I've also been with the Realms since its foundation as well, and I really couldn't see the need for the 1375 DR-to-1479 DR jump for the Realms either, back when it was still a vague hint of what was to come. So who knows?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 05:06:15
I hope so, Sage & Dart. But after seeing what they did to the Realms (and the fact that they pulled the license from Sovereign Press not too politely), I'm a bit more cynical.

I mean, what do you think they think will sell better to new players? A Dragonlance with the Age of Mortals and such in its history, or a rebooted setting right after the Dragonlance wars where "things are new".
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 23:51:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'm not seeing it as such. We pretty much already know how this will end. My guess is, like the other "Lost Chronicles" books, we'll simply learn a little more of the back story re: some of the choices each of the Companions made during the final days of the War of the Lance. Raistlin's will obviously take centre stage, but we know from the original "Chronicles" that a lot of other stuff was happening at this time too. Most of which was only vaguely referred to in Dragons of Spring Dawning. This book will give Weis & Hickman an opportunity to elaborate on some of that "vague" background lore.

Agreed. Which is a fine thing in my opinion...the elaborating I mean. The "vague references" were one of the only things that slightly annoyed me about the original "Chronicles".
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 17:16:10
quote:

Hmm... Just read the summary for Dragons of the Hourglass Mage. I'm thinking there's a reboot/retcon in Dragonlance's future...

I'm not seeing it as such. We pretty much already know how this will end. My guess is, like the other "Lost Chronicles" books, we'll simply learn a little more of the back story re: some of the choices each of the Companions made during the final days of the War of the Lance. Raistlin's will obviously take centre stage, but we know from the original "Chronicles" that a lot of other stuff was happening at this time too. Most of which was only vaguely referred to in Dragons of Spring Dawning. This book will give Weis & Hickman an opportunity to elaborate on some of that "vague" background lore.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 17:11:06
quote:

quote:

Hmmm... Looking at the cover of the PHB3 they show with this announcement, it looks like two of the focus races are Minotaurs and Gith.

Methinks 2010 will see Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Just a hunch...

Oh yeah, it's definitely Dragonlance:

Ultimate Dragonlance Fan Contest

SAGE! You should enter! Then you can come to GenCon. Of course, you'd have to either find a sitter for Narnra or, if she still small enough to not warrant separate air fare, she can come too!

Edit: Nevermind, WotC's too cheap. Contest is limited to US/Canadian residents... Sorry 'bout that.

'Tis a shame. Because I'd have a lot of fun trying to sum up my DRAGONLANCE love in just 500 words.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 16:24:56
quote:

Hmm... Just read the summary for Dragons of the Hourglass Mage. I'm thinking there's a reboot/retcon in Dragonlance's future...

I dunno... That's always been a hazy area, so I don't see anything retcon-ish there.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 16:23:46
quote:

Edit: Nevermind, WotC's too cheap. Contest is limited to US/Canadian residents... Sorry 'bout that.

As much as I hate to defend WotC, it's pretty standard for any company having a contest to limit entries to those in the same geographical area, be it a country, a continent, or a portion of a continent.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 16:12:41
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 16:06:55
quote:

Hmmm... Looking at the cover of the PHB3 they show with this announcement, it looks like two of the focus races are Minotaurs and Gith.

Oh yeah, it's definitely Dragonlance:

Ultimate Dragonlance Fan Contest

SAGE! You should enter! Then you can come to GenCon. Of course, you'd have to either find a sitter for Narnra or, if she still small enough to not warrant separate air fare, she can come too!

Fillow Posted - 07 Jun 2009 : 20:43:44
I'm back with my last question about DDI :
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I've a stupid question (but I'm sure that you're used to from the froggy !)
Except from Dragon and Dungeon issues, what could find a FR fan by suscribing to D&DI if he only likes Realmslore and does not play ?

Thanks a lot fellow scribes.
Brimstone Posted - 06 Jun 2009 : 10:07:57
You should see the new Eberron map. Its a nice, not like that "thing" we got last August.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 06 Jun 2009 : 05:22:12
I find it interesting that WotC is showing off "characters" right when Paizo starts previewing characters for PFRPG release in August.

Ah, damn. The cynicism is getting to me again... Gotta stop reading the Wizards boards.
Fillow Posted - 04 Jun 2009 : 09:12:54
I've a stupid question (but I'm sure that you're used to from the froggy !)
Except from Dragon and Dungeon issues, what could find a FR fan by suscribing to D&DI if he only likes Realmslore and does not play ?
Neil Bishop Posted - 20 May 2009 : 17:02:27
I extended my subscription for another 12 months at a price of only USD54 or so. That's damn cheap- less than USD5 a month. Even the new rate is a good price. Then again, I like 4E so that puts me in the minority on these boards.
The Sage Posted - 20 May 2009 : 16:03:41
quote:

Well, we know there will be a DL 4e setting, thanks largely to comments made at last year's Gen Con.

I'm assuming attendees will learn more about the developments of said book at Gen Con this year. [And since I'm not going, I'll expect to be informed of any news by DL fans who also visit Candlekeep ]
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 May 2009 : 15:43:51
Well, 'technically' Shifter and Changelings were in the first Monster Manual. Besides for Dragonlance, they have to stat out Gully Dwarves, Kender and maybe some Draconian variants.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 20 May 2009 : 15:21:51
I just saw that, too, but I kinda wonder. You'd think they'd want to save the minotaur for any DL player's guide (though I suppose there plenty of other Krynn specific races to choose from, as well). It'll be interesting to see if the minotaur is the same as the playable race from Dragon 369, too.

Of course, that's assuming there's not an art change!

quote:

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 May 2009 : 14:57:38

Barshevy Posted - 20 May 2009 : 13:24:04
$70 a year for what is basically rented information. OK.
Markustay Posted - 20 May 2009 : 12:14:09
Yeah, thats gone around before. About two years ago, there was a rush to delete tons of fan-art from the site because of that, and several projects (like the Elven Netbook) were moved off-site as well.

Since everything I do (over there) is a derivation of Hasbro properties, I really have no problem with it - I consider it all their's anyway.
Alisttair Posted - 20 May 2009 : 11:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

...And I'm looking thru their EULA right now, too. It's basically saying that if you post anything on the Wizards site, it's theirs. That's scary...

So is that message board type stuff you are referring to?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2009 : 01:01:57
After consideration (because I was really wanting the Ed lore), I've decided I'm still not going to sign up for the DDI.

I don't want to pay with a credit card. PayPal I'll do; in fact, most of my online spending is done thru PayPal. But that's not an option...

And I'm still not going to pay for the Character Builder or the Compendium. Until they allow me to only buy what I want, I'm not buying anything.

...And I'm looking thru their EULA right now, too. It's basically saying that if you post anything on the Wizards site, it's theirs. That's scary...
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 May 2009 : 00:52:06
I'm not sure if it will bring more people on. Sure, you can get the introductory rate until July (meaning signing up for a year's worth at the old rate), but you'll still need to buy the PHB3 when it comes out, since the 102 pages will only be about half of the book. And, it sounds like it will be in the Compendium and Character Builder with Article support, not actual PDF copies of the books.

My vote's still no on DDI.
The Sage Posted - 20 May 2009 : 00:39:45
Interesting.

I wonder how this will affect, if at all, the decision making process of those who are still deciding whether to purchase a subscription to DDI?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000